Friday, June 13, 2014

A Million Ways to Die in the West - movie review by Stevie Mack



As I settled into my high back velour seat at Rave Cinemas Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza 15 + Extreme I wondered how many other Seth MacFarlane fans would be there entertaining the same thought, "Will this be as bad as the critics and word-of-mouth say? Will it be 1 ½ hours of my life wasted?"

I’ve always stuck to my own rule of thumb, which is to forget what others say about a movie and go see it myself. I’m glad I did in this case as well.

Plot:
Cowardly Albert (Seth MacFarlane) backs out of a gunfight prompting his long time girlfriend (Amanda Seyfried) to leave him for another man (Neil Patrick Harris), the proprietor of a moustache emporium. When Albert unwittingly saves the life of a beautiful woman (Charlize Theron), she teaches him how to shoot a gun for the first time in his life and stand up for himself. But when her husband, a notorious outlaw (Liam Neeson), arrives seeking revenge for the secret love affair, Albert must save her once again, but this time on purpose.

Was it full of toilet humor and crude sex jokes? Yes. Did it have a big dance number with an awesome original / funny song like Seth MacFarlane is so well known for? Yes. Did it have racist jokes that I, a Black guy, would laugh at? Yes. One note here about that, don’t leave the theater until the lights come on, because at the very end, after the Universal Pictures logo swirls, there’s a double surprise twist of redemption on the racist joke….nailed it!

Every movie has slow parts and a lot of the same story plots, so to rag on this one for having the same is missing the forest for the trees. I went to this movie knowing full well what I was getting into. This is Seth MacFarlane, the same guy who brought us Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show, Ted and more! So I expected a cartoonish movie with a lot of hokey humor. Wasn’t looking for it to be as good as Ted, a lot more went into that movie. Expected this one to play like a flip-book of one-liners, and it did just that.


That’s my two cents.

About the blogger:
Stevie Mack is a blogger for many reasons, the main one being his love of entertainment.
Visit his website here: http://www,steviemack.com

No comments: