Thursday, October 05, 2006

Overcoming Stage Fright


Public speaking is the #1 fear of most people. How do you overcome it? I can only tell you how I deal with it. Even after performing thousands of times in front of a live audiance, I still get the jitters slightly before I take the stage.
What I do is say a little prayer before I hit the stage. Something as simple as, "God, give me the power to go out here and have fun!" Once I do that, all the fear subside and a surg of courage takes over. But if I leave it up to fear, I'll go out with nervous energy and not connect with the audiance. I used to go out and not look at the people, I'd look at the back wall of the room. That only works for so long, soon you'll have to deal with those faces, and after a while you'll want to deal with those faces, because that's where all the good improv material comes from.
So, say a prayer and buckle up! It's going to be a wild ride...wild, but FUN!
-Comedian Stevie Mack

No comments: